Saturday, December 13, 2008

NAE should be ashamed

I don't know if you've been following the incident that has led to Richard Cizik's resignation from the NAE, but I think it's a great example of ungenerousity. Read this interview from the NAE president in Christianity Today. When will evangelicals learn?

I heard Cizik speak at a conference last summer and enjoyed his look at the history of evangelicalism.  It was an interesting place for him to be because I would venture to say that most of the people in the room considered themselves post-evangelical in the spirit of postmodernity.  But nevertheless, Cizik's call was for the church to remember its missional, evangelical roots that were focused on leading people to Jesus, not on condemning the world because they are the world.  (That last line is a shout out from Hauerwas which if I remember correctly sums up what Cizik was saying.) 

I have one quick question.  Is it a good thing for the church to try to live out the great commission in so many different ways?  (I can clarify that question in the comments if you need me to.)

2 comments:

  1. The forced resignation and this article trouble me on so many levels. I hardly know where to begin really. The use of the word "constituency" alone...the strategic naming of "creation care" to not appear too liberal...the disregard for the whole Christian community. It's actually quite frightening and feels like the same methodologies as secular politics.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I wonder how many constituents even batted an eye at this situation?

    ReplyDelete