Thursday, January 8, 2009

Truly amazing

So today I went to visit Karis in the NICU at the hospital.  She was in the hard plastic, incubator thing but I found myself just staring at her.  A nurse and a doctor came over to talk to me about her situation and to say that she was doing great.  They use big words, abbreviations and what seems to be a bunch of random letters when trying to explain her situation.  Anyways, as I was talking to the nurse I said that I couldn't wait to hold her, especially because I thought it would be around a week or so before we could do that.  The nurse then informed me that if I came back at 1:45 they would get her out for us to hold.  So Holly, my mother in law Brenda, and myself went to the NICU today and held Karis for about 30-40 min.  Holly went first and I will never forget the way that she teared up.  I can't imagine all that went through her head at that moment.  I know what went through mine but I wasn't carrying Karis around and having to deal with the complications that we experienced for the past couple of days.  About 5 min before we had to leave Holly let me hold Karis and I finally really started to feel like a real dad.  I held my baby today.  I held my baby today!  I HELD MY BABY TODAY!!!!!

In case you can't tell I'm pretty excited about that.

2 comments:

  1. Jared and Holly, I cannot tell you how happy I am for you. I think because we are expecting our baby any day now I have been putting myself in your situation with every update that I read. Each one has brought me to tears. I cannot imagine that rollercoaster you have been through... but how amazing to hold your daughter for the first time!! I'm sure it was intensified all the more with the complications you've been through. I long for that moment of holding my child for the first time. Again, I am so happy for you guys! Dan and I are praying for all 3 of you and hope we can help in any area possible... just let us know :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I remember the first time I held Tyler. It is an amazing feeling. There are some amazing moments still ahead, but it is hard to top that one. Brandy and I continue to pray for you, Holly, and little Karis. May the God who cares for our needs continue to provide love, grace, and many blessings to you and your family. We love you guys.

    ReplyDelete