Wednesday, January 27, 2010

The Sacred Meal


I recently finished the book, "The Sacred Meal", as a part of the book sneeze blogger program. I chose this book because the practice of Communion is one that I take very seriously and am always up for a fresh perspective. For all of my life I have been a part of a denomination that doesn't know exactly what to do with Communion. Each church basically chooses how frequently and in what manner they engage this ancient practice of the church. I really did not have a problem with this until I began to take my faith more seriously and even entering into vocational ministry. Through education and personal experience I began to have a greater appreciation for the deep meaning that Communion provides on our faith journey. So from that perspective I was eager to read what the author had to say on the matter.

I found "The Sacred Meal" to be an easy read that is truly geared for the everyday Christian. The author speaks from an Episcopal background and has served the Eucharist in her church for many years. I found myself underlining many sentences for further reflection as the author reaffirmed what the practice of Communion celebrates and how it affects our communal life together. I was personally affected by the perspectives of the practice that the author described as waiting, receiving and afterward. I won't spoil what the author writes, but I will say that the idea of waiting was a fresh perspective for me. I am used to taking the bread instead of receiving the bread. Unfortunately this is mainly due to issues of convenience or making the practice as less Catholic as it can be. I believe there is something that we can learn from waiting to receive.

Lastly, I appreciated how the author connected the Eucharist to our mission in the world. Too often we have tried to separate our worship from our mission which has led to many Christians living a sort of bi-polar kind of life. But in seeing how the aspects of our worship inform our mission, we can begin to see how we live a fully abundant life. May we fully be able to live this out in every area of our life and begin to see the kingdom of God here on this earth in new ways and in new places.

No comments:

Post a Comment