Monday, January 18, 2010

A Day to Remember

As someone who was born after desegregation, I do not have a personal frame of reference in which to appreciate who Martin Luther King, Jr was and what he helped to accomplish. But I have grown up in the south and experienced racism first hand in the words and actions of people I have come across. My mom tells me a story of a question I asked shortly after we moved to Tennessee when I was in the second grade. Evidently I came home one day and asked my parents 'why are we supposed to hate black people?' From that point on I know that I dealt with the issue on a frequent basis. My prayer is that we will continue to strive towards the dream that Dr. King had and I will try my best to instill that in my daughter as she grows up in this incredibly diverse world we live.

No comments:

Post a Comment