Thursday, November 10, 2011

Kissing Fish: A Review

Have you heard of the new movement within Christianity that is seeking to break free from the chains of modernity?  No, I'm not talking about the emergent/-ing church, but instead I'm speaking of Progressive Christianity.  If you are unfamiliar with this movement I would recommend "Kissing Fish" by Roger Wolsey as a starting point.  In this book Wolsey lays out the view of Progressive Christianity vs that of Traditional Christianity.  It is written in a very non-condescending style and should be easily accessible.  The biggest hang up I think that readers would have with this book depends on their view of traditional Christianity and how open they are to new ways of thinking.  Wolsey uses some of his own personal life experiences from growing up, being in school and in ministry to show how each phase has led to the shaping of his theology.  Progressive Christianity takes seriously postmodern thinking and therefore calls into question many of the widely held beliefs of Traditional Christianity.  I enjoyed this book very much even though I did not agree with the author on every point.  Make sure that you come to this book with an open mind and if you do I think that you will be challenged to think about Christianity in new ways.

Thanks to the Speak Easy bloggers group for a copy to review.  Keep 'em coming guys.

1 comment:

  1. Thank you Jared for this very even and charitable review of my book. I hope others take you up on your invitation for them to read this book to learn more about progressive Christianity. Blessings, Roger

    ReplyDelete