Monday, March 1, 2010

The Voice of Psalms

My latest book from the Book Sneeze program is entitled "The Voice of Psalms." It is the book of Psalms "retold by the friends of Ecclesia Bible Society." (Their words on the title page.) If you have never been exposed to the voice project, I encourage you to look them up here. While I know that many people will have problems with the voice translation, I on the other hand enjoy what they are doing. For the most part, their translation is pretty similar, but there are some differences. They have added words in italics to help with understanding, which do not bother me one bit. In most cases I found that this was helpful. They have also substituted the words God and Lord with Eternal One. Here again, this does not bother me greatly but I know there will be some who are outraged about this. There are also reflections after most of the psalms for a little bit of a deeper understanding, which are always welcomed in my opinion.

I would probably never use the voice translation as my primary text to preach from, but have used it as a reference from time to time. I also own the New Testament version of the voice and cannot wait for them to put out a full canon edition. I tend to reach for my voice translation in personal reading just as I do the various other translations that I own. For me it is how I gain a better overall picture of the text.

I would totally recommend "The Voice of Psalms" for someone who would like another perspective on one of the most beautiful and poetic books in the Bible. I personally am using one of their reading plans during this season of Lent and have enjoyed spending this time in Psalms as a part of my journey. Keep up the good work Ecclesia Bible Society. I do look forward to hopefully having a full Bible one day from your project.

No comments:

Post a Comment