Friday, March 19, 2010

Chronological Guide to the Bible

I recently received and have read through the Chronological Guide to the Bible as a part of the Book Sneeze program through Thomas Nelson Publishing. I chose this book for two reasons. First, I was curious about the premise of a chronological order to the Bible. I have known for quite some time that the Bible was no fully in chronological order, but never really knew where to start in reading the Bible in that way. Second, I thought it might be a good reference tool for my library and I believe I was right.

Let me first say that I love the layout of the book. They have divided history into nine epochs and the introduction to each epoch includes some of the major events and developments in history as well as in the Biblical narrative. After this introduction there is a reading list in order to follow along in chronological order which allows this book to be compatible with any translation of the Bible. There are then a few little articles highlighting various thing in certain passages that might correspond to events in history. These articles are very easy to read and understand and really help the reader gain a deeper understanding.

Overall I am very pleased with this product and am looking forward to digging into more and more of the content found inside. In just the week or so that I have been looking through it, I've gained some deeper understanding. I would definitely recommend this book. Just make sure that you read the introduction to the book so that you will understand some of the decisions that were made in putting this book together.

No comments:

Post a Comment