Monday, October 13, 2008

Missional Theology

Last Friday, I and 3 others from my church went to Biblical Seminary to hear a conversation in Missional Theology.  The occasion was in honor of one of their theology professors, John Franke, who was being installed as the Lester and Kay Clemens Professor of Missional Theology.  I have read two of Franke's books and recommend them both, The Character of Theology and Beyond Foundationalism.  The best part of the event was that Franke asked 4 presenters to come in and talk about Missional Theology.  The presenters were Scot McKnight, Tim Keel, Darrell Guder and Brian McLaren with a few breakout sessions lead by some local leaders in our area.

I will spend the next few posts talking about the meat of what was covered, but I want to make one general point before I do that.  I was totally blown away by the way a generous orthodoxy was embraced at this event.  Having grown up in a denominational setting my whole life, I have trouble breaking out of a sectarian mindset.  I am constantly fighting the desire to draw the battle lines between the other and myself, when in reality we are on the same team!  I think that is in large part why Mission Theology is resonating within me.  It is speaking a new language that seems so right to me.  Missional Theology does not seek to further point out our differences, but instead to find commonality that will move towards uniting us as the people of God.  Thank you Biblical Seminary for being courageous to live out this conviction.  May God continue to build the Kingdom here among us all.

2 comments:

  1. Sounds like it was a great time! I wish I could have been there.

    I hope all is well. I look forward to the conversation that might take place on this blog. I look forward to your insights as well.

    ReplyDelete
  2. refreshing to discover a place where a generous orthodoxy is not just observed, but actually celebrated, isn't it? I also love/struggle with my tribe and one of my greatest struggles is the fact that generosity is often punished, or at the very least, ignorance is preferred.

    looking forward to the ongoing conversation.

    ReplyDelete