Saturday, October 4, 2008

Beginning of a journey

So after many months of internal wrestling, I have decided to start this blog.  Please know that this is more for me than it is for you.  My journey is characterized by the title that I have chosen.  I find myself as a resident Nazarene alien.  I took this title from a book written by Stanley Hauerwas and William Willimon called, "Resident Aliens."  The book is essentially about how Christians always find themselves as resident aliens in the world.  Their call is not to fight this reality, but to accept it and faithfully live by God's calling.



Here is where I find myself.  I love my tribe of Nazarenes.  I love the heritage that I have in being a 5th generation Nazarene.  I love the heart of what we stand for in the Kingdom of God.  But I'm finding that I'm a little out of place.  I'm finding that instead of keeping our spirits tuned to the movement of God, my tribe is more tuned into doing it the way we've always done.  I have not given up hope for the future, but I'm afraid of my identity within my tribe if our course does not change.

I hope this blog will be a place where I can wrestle with my friends and some welcomed strangers on what God is calling His church to in this day and time.  I pray that as we journey together God will open us all up to new ways of seeing His Kingdom, instead of our kingdom.

You should also know that I love sports and music as well.  So don't be surprised if they make an appearance on here as well.

No comments:

Post a Comment