Monday, December 13, 2010

Chasing Francis

You know how sometimes you read a book and it just resonates deep inside of you?  Well "Chasing Francis" is one of those books for me.  I cannot recommend this book enough.  The basic plot line of this book is of a mega church pastor who finds that the faith that he has built his life upon is crumbling around him.  Essentially the author is describing a person moving from a modern faith worldview to a post-modern faith.  This change culminated in an extremely honest moment from the pulpit that had the pastor in trouble with the elders and other staff at the church.  He ends up taking a leave of absence and joins his uncle in Italy who is a Franciscan monk.  During his time away he gives himself over to studying who Francis of Assisi was and how he lived and taught others to live.  In doing so he began to discover a new way to be Christian that was not so much about how big a church he could grow, but how he could truly serve the world around him.  He eventually has to return home and face the music but with a new vision of what his local church could become.  Predictably it does not end with the whole congregation changing, but with the pastor forming a fellowship to walk out his latest discovery.

I think I enjoyed this book so much because I can identify with it.  I have gone through a transition in my faith but yet I still find myself in the midst of those stuck where I used to be.  It can be frustrating at times but I very much liked the discoveries that were made from the life and teachings of St. Francis.  This novel has really peaked my interest in learning more about what Francis wrote and trying to figure out how our current ministry contexts can implement his message.

I read this book as a part of the Speak Easy bloggers network and hope to read more great titles in the future.  Go get this book!

No comments:

Post a Comment